New York Chapter 1 is a non-profit organization (501c3) with the following objectives:
- To improve the health and welfare of all infants, children, adolescents and young adults in the State of New York.
- To study the scientific, educational, social, economic, and legislative aspects of medicine in order to maintain the highest standards of practice in pediatrics, and to prepare and recommend necessary changes in existing or contemplated medical programs.
- To further the policies and the objectives of the American Academy of Pediatrics at the state and local level.
- To promote excellence in pediatric care by organizing programs of post-graduate education.
- To unite qualified pediatricians of Upstate New York State into a representative organization for the advancement of the practice of pediatrics.